Monday, July 4, 2005

Entry 2120 (revised--from August 2004) Musical Romantic Revelations

“Still is the life
Of your room when you’re not inside
And all of your things
Tell the sweetest storyline
Your tears on these sheets
And your footsteps down the hall
Tell me what I did
I can’t find when the moment went wrong at all

You can be mad in the morning
I’ll take back what I said
Just don’t leave me alone here
It’s cold, baby

Come back to bed

What will this fix?
You know you’re not a quick forgive
And I won’t sleep through this
I survive on the breath you’re finished with

You can be mad in the morning
I’ll take back what I said
Just don’t leave me alone here

It’s cold, Baby

Come back to bed

You can be mad in the morning
Or the afternoon instead
But don’t leave me
98 and 6 degrees of separation from you, baby
Come back to bed

Don’t hold your love over my head.”

--John Mayer, “Come Back to Bed’ (from the CD “Heavier Things”)


One afternoon two songs I had never heard before came on the radio just as I arrived at the Bookman’s on Grant Road in Tucson. It was mid-August 2004…I sat patiently as the engine idled, the air conditioning doing its job and keeping me cool. The first was “Grey Street”, by the Dave Matthews Band. Someday I will write more about why that song is so important…let’s just say it perfectly describes an ex-girlfriend. “There’s an emptiness inside her, and she’ll do anything to fill it up.” There’s more too…as I said, another time. But I didn’t know that there could be a better song that this one to describe her.

Ah, except for this one. OMG…did John Mayer date her too? Did he know someone else that DID?

There had to be a hundred, a thousand times when this could’ve been my theme song, at night or anytime…”come back to the CAR”…”come back to the TABLE”…”come back to the LIVING ROOM.”

Taken together, I was given cause to stop…to ponder, to consider. Two songs, appearing together randomly...but describing the relationship I had just been in perfectly.

When both songs had played I shut the car off and went into the store. But I never forgot....

Everything happens for a reason, even if that reason is just coincidence. I was fortunate that day to be able to listen, to allow me to get a better understanding—a new perspective—on something I was still trying to understand.


I am always watching out for such opportunities. They’re there…every day. Every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment