Thursday, July 14, 2016

Entry 4077 The Milestone of Three Decades

A personal milestone is on the horizon...every day brings it closer to reality.

I've known of its approach for some time; and when it arrives, I suspect nothing will--for all attempts and purposes--be any different. Well, not in a physical, palpable sense.

It was on June 22, 1987 that I departed Western PA--the only home I had ever known--for the Great Southwest and my adopted new home of Tucson, AZ.

I arrived there on June 26, around 3 pm. This was the start of the second portion of my life, I suppose you could call it, although at the time I didn't necessarily feel that way.

However, as it has turned out, that was exactly what it was.

So the milestone that will occur in 2017--next year--presumably on June 26, will mean that I will have been relocated in Arizona for as long as I had been my entire life in Pennsylvania.

This might not mean much on the surface to many or even most people. But it gives me cause to reflect.

It will have been 30 years since I arrived here...and, I left PA when I was 30 years old.

As you can probably imagine, I have two sets of memories. One, from the first 30 years...and, one set since June 26, 1987. The two don't overlap, because even when I would return to PA to visit it was with a different mindset--it was always a place that I USED to live.

Because of the person that I am, given to reflect and re-reflect on the passage of these last 29 years...I will revisit memories, thoughts, ideas; and likely more tangible things like places, music, photographs, and so on.

I have not written much on James Anonymous these last few years. Most of my prior entries had to do with the struggle to find romance and/or some sort of contentment. Well, as I have said before, that thankfully has taken care of itself. And, in 2012 I started a more "current events" weblog called Brood Coffee Talk that I had devoted much time to. In fact, I posted something there every day for about three quarters of a year. There were posts on current news events, some on sports, my favorite music videos...and tech. There were lots and lots of posts on the then-upcoming Windows 8 release, the latest on the Android OS, and the like.

Around that time I was also ghost-writing for a tech blog and getting paid very little for it...and, someone close to me suffered a life-changing injury...and, I finally found something similar to what I used to do for work.

The end result of this is that I suddenly had a lot less free time; and going right along with that, also got kind of burned out over the whole thing. While I wrote a couple of things there in the past few years, for the most part I had largely put that aside. (I did recently add a new entry, but it's based on previous ones.)

'James Anonymous', on the other hand, has been redesigned. As I mention in the "Introduction" sidebar, Xanga has pretty much gone under. I was able to download my JA content in 2014...about a month ago I brought it here to Blogger (Brood Coffee Talk is on Wordpress). It's been restored with all its entries intact.

Of course, this all intersects with my opening premise. In the course of the next few months I'll be relating stories and recollections here of the last 30 years, if for no other reason than to preserve them.

There are memories that, despite the passage of time, are still rich and detailed. Saturday nights spent sitting having drinks with friends at the (Fabulous) Foothills pool in Tucson...early dawns spent driving in the winters of Northern Arizona...investigating new towns and locales.

I'm looking forward to sharing it all with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment