Monday, November 17, 2008

Entry 3540 'Some Place Special'

Randy Newman loves it.

And, after a long period where I was kind of on the fence about it...I guess I do, too.

Yes...I'm talking about El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, so named in 1741 by 44 setters, who founded the place.

See, in 1979, I was there. It was cool...my generation grew up with it all over television..."The Tonight Show", "Beverly Hillbillies", way too many more to name. In the late 60s, it was the birthplace of the Southern California Sound. In the 50s, it was Surf Music...Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, etc.

I was there again, in March/April 2007, for three weeks. I loved it. I was staying in Ontario, which is pretty far east. Still, in the course of my work I was just about everyplace.

Recently, I was part of my close friend Thom's wedding...which was there. And, again, for four days, I loved it....it was great. When I was there in 2007 I said I would live there someday.

Still don't get it? L A...Los Angeles. That long thing before? That's the OFFICIAL name of it. Fact.

A little-known fact is...I actually wanted to move THERE, instead of Arizona...after my visit in 1979. But, I got talked out of it, partially because my family had friends that lived...in Tucson. In retrospect, i rarely ever saw those people. And, my good friend Bill, from college, also lived there, in Tucson...well, better off not even starting to talk about that. Again...another story, another time.

I heard some great music there, in L A...from a great radio station. Just like in 1992, when I heard KZON in Phoenix (when it was legendary)...soon afterwards, I was living there. Not just for that reason...but that cemented it for me, was the final thing that helped to tip the scales. See, I HATE broadcast radio (but not satellite radio...it sounds pretty good, just haven't heard enough of it). So, finding broadcast radio that I like...wow, that's something.

You can hear it too...with this link: The Sound 100.3 Los Angeles.

So...I'm thinking seriously about it.


Yes...yes, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment